ALE Adaptive meshing

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptiEng

Mechanical
Oct 30, 2009
GB
Hello all,

I am a little confused about Abaqus ALE adaptive meshing, my model is done using abaqus explicit (dynamic) using ALE Adaptive Mesh Domain option in the Step Module. I understood this to be a technique to improve the quality of the mesh where it is required. However, looking at the post processing results the mesh looks the same as before? Can anyone provide some input into this?

Thanks in advanced

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I understand, adaptive meshing incrementally alters the mesh to give a better mesh quality during the simulation. The fact that the mesh looks similar after the fact as before goes to show how it works. Otherwise, your mesh could have some deformed areas. Here's a picture showing the difference between ALE and non-ALE:

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d5ac7c55-885a-4dde-8875-f4f80475c589&file=ALE.JPG
Hi curlq,

Thanks for your response, the thing is, I can not see that my mesh has incrementally changed at all, perhaps this is because my problem does not require ALE. Also my deformation is no where near that shown in your image. Thanks

If you aren't seeing high deformations, the ALE may not be necessary and would effectively only be adding to the computational cost for your simulation. Try running a simulation with ALE, and one without ALE. Compare the computational time and accuracy of solution to determine of adaptive meshing is actually needed for your analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back