Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alef flying car

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, nothing at all !

But it's a neat video ... if frightful music ...

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

No engine or fan eh?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

mag lift ?

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Oh sorry, no, the top of the car is a lattice of tiny 'vertical' wings. Underneath are 8 2 bladed electrically powered props. In take off mode these are switched on, the drone ascends, the machine flips on its side while rotating the cabin to remain horizontal and it then accelerates off using the tiny wings for lift. It's a brilliant piece of solidworks cartooning.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

This lunacy will NEVER be certified as either a car or an aircraft. This is past the 6sigma end of the snake oil fantasy spectrum.

and it'll be carbon free ...

I like the way any of these drone-tech taxis never discuss noise. The noise limit for a car at full throttle these days is remarkably quiet (for no good reason, the way they were set originally had a rational basis, since then, not so much).

Cheers

Greg Locock

I especially liked the fantasy of just hopping over a traffic jam/ road block.

So a normal car as well as a flying one.

Just as well it's a cartoon...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

GregLocock said:
I like the way any of these drone-tech taxis never discuss noise

There is no question in my mind that if one of these things lands or takes off in your vicinity, you will know.

I like how it takes off and rotates completely horizontal. I was curious about the Moller Volantor and I did some calculations. At 300mph, most of the fan thrust would be needed to generate lift. The fans would be at an angle of 80 to 85[°].

--
JHG

cartoons (see Roadrunner and Coyote) can do anything ... just suspend your disbelief ...

That's just an unmanned model. Have you ever flown a RC helicopter model?

Notice that in none of the REAL video footage, the craft is never actually under complete control of its attitude. It's always oscillating. Looks like it would be a nightmare to keep it going in a straight line.

For reference, the Blackfly is not pretending to be a car but a boat, only carries one brave pilot, but uses the same 8 propellers (more or less). The angle of attack of the wings in normal flight is pretty amazing, but of course the propwash keeps the aerodynamic AoA under control.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Aska_exy88f.jpg

I have a concern about these structural interfaces. And that wing planform with that kink of the spars is making me hold my breath.

I rather keep driving my pick up truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back