Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Algor 2010 and 2011 gives different results?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BjornF

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2010
SE
Has anyone else had a problem with the two different versions of Algor giving you different results?

I had a model which worked quite well in 2010, but I have a very hard time getting it to work in 2011 (for some reason, it tells me that the exact same model is "too big"?). Anyway, when I finally get it to work, I get unreasonable results.

I'm not allowed to say anything specific, but the basic step is trying to pretension a model with beam elements and lots of contact areas. I did this by applying a temperature load and thought I got reasonable results before 2011 (around 22kN pretension force in the bolts). But if I copy the model and run the very same thing in 2011, I get pretension forces in the order of MN! Does anyone know if there's something very basic they have changed? I just copied the design scenario and re-run it to test it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not allowed to disclose the model file anyway, so I doubt they would be able to help me much. I was just wondering if anyone else have experienced something similar?

I can't assist with your specific question, but if the error message is a bit obscure ("too big" for what exactly?), you should be able to get technical support to explain what the error message means without needing to see the model, and how to resolve it.

Whenever I have needed technical support on a confidential model, it is usually possible to replicate the problem on a much simpler model, and send that off for support to review. E.g. if it is an issue with modelling pretensioned bolts and surface contact, try modelling a single bolt and see how it works.

Often, the process of attempting to replicate the problem by building a new simple model reveals the solution itself (e.g. user input error, or an advanced program feature for which you hadn't appreciate the significance), or suggests alternative modelling approaches which can allow you to find a satisfactory solution pending resolution of the problem.

Hope this helps!

Yes, I asked them specifically what "Model size too big" meant. It's very annoying that the program doesn't specify what exactly is too big, and the support simply said that "Well, the model is too big".

Anyway, I did the whole thing again from scratch and now it works...thanks anyhow!

/Björn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back