Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ALGOR with rubber

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrbiss

Mechanical
May 13, 2003
CA
How good ALGOR can achieve simulations with non linear materials like rubber ?
I'm looking for a FEA software and I want to know if ALGOR is a good alternative to rubber-to-metal bonded parts static and dynamic analyses.
What properties does ALGOR use to characterize the compound ?
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use ALGOR for many years.

It does support a long list of (nonlinear) material models, including several for rubber and rubber-like materials.

You can define for Mooney-Rivlin 2, 5 and 9 order curves (but you usually will get data for 2-order only, C1 and C2 constants). There is even a curve fitter in the software for your own measurements.

For Mooney-Rivlin the solution converges fast and many element types are supported. It's fun.

the problem with metal to rubber bond lines using fea is the solution for the rubber and the solution for the metal material are smeared together at the bond line(nodes) giving incorrect results. The bondline strain of the rubber at the bond line is the result of interest. ADINA software by Bathe at MIT who did his PHD at UC Berkely on rubber and MARC now owned by MSC software are the best for analyzing rubber to metal. These software tools separate the solutions from the two materials. Algor does not measure the stretch of the rubber it only calculates the Von Mises stress and strain which has nothing to do with the rubber, it is used to measure behavior of metal. Also Algor does not have an element formulated for analyzing rubber. The correct element is called a mixed formulated element which incorporates a hydrostatic degree of freedom at the corners
whcih used to calculate the change in shape. Ruber does not change in volume but changes shape. Rubber has a bulk modulus close to and approaching .5. A material with a bulk modulus of .5 has no change in volume when loaded, but has a shape change.
feapro@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back