Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Algor's Pipepak to Autodesk. What now? Will it survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanier

Mechanical
May 20, 2001
AU
Users have been advised that they cannot update their SUS for Pipepak because Autodesk do not know what they intend doing with the product. They have released same onto their website for free for the next 6 months. From that I am advised they will decide if there is sufficient interest in the product?

Where are their brains. No one in their right mind would use it for engineering purposes knowing the product could be pulled in 6 months. They have no idea of the time it takes to learn to use a product like Pipepak.

Algor only tinkered with the front end as it resembled its DOS lineage. Nothing was done to the engine. Even reported an acknowledged bug fixes were not addressed. It was rumoured that no one left at Algor understood the code. After all it had been around since the early 1980s.

So are Autodesk CAD users going to look into Pipepak. I doubt they would waste their time.

No, the product will likely wither on the vine and die.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am afraid I would have to agree. Pipepak is similar to but not quite as bad as PSA5. Neither were really updated to compete with Caesar in 1989. Pipepak made a good attempt but it is still a bit qwerky for new users. I am sure it could be made a very respectable entry level product with a very modest amount of tlc and tidying up. I would like to see this happen keep some competition in the market without having to resort to a full version of Caesar.

The really stupid part is that the updates needed to the interfaces for both PSA5 and Pipepak are cosmetic data input / output. It never needed the real pipe stress brains to get both products up to Caesar user friendliness circa 1989.

SST front end looks very much like Pipepak. Any users out there?

SSt must have developed their engine as it has capability for buried pipe design/analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back