Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alibre CAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tgatica

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2000
US
Has anyone worked with the new solids CAD package called Alibre? Their price is amazing ($495) and according to them, it will do everything that Solidworks and Inventor do, but at 1/10 the price. I'm thinking of purchasing this software so any comments/suggestions would greatly help.

Thanks,
Tony

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a 30 Day demo that I have not used yet. See if you can get a download from their website.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew

Be careful--I explored a CAD option like this and found out it had no Drawing Mode- it was modeling software only.

My conclusion: there is no free (or cheap) ride when it comes to CAD systems.

jackboot

According to there online video it looks very usefull and powerfull. I asked the demo CD and I want to try to design freeform, lofts and blends. This are the thinks I'm afraid are less than Solid Works. In my opion it works very well for mechanical design.

I loaded it and every time I opened it resulted in the blue screen of death. They sent me a newer version, but I haven't had the time or inclination to reinstall it.

I have recently purchased the alibre Pro version. I am very happy with it. I have to admit I am not a cad guy, I do design work in a manufacturing environment (small place).
Also the help is amazing. You can work "on-line" and a rep can jump in and take over, while you watch. You do need to have a decent computer. I'll admit it is not great for 2D, symbols specifically. I am still geting used to the modeling.
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back