Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aliphatic Polyurea Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalman8357

Materials
Oct 5, 2012
US
Hi everyone,

Quick question here. I work for a company that owns a coating company used for construction. One of the products we offer is aliphatic polyurea, which can be painted onto concrete or steel as a sealant. We've had problems with the material failing on job sites, and we've sent out samples of our product to a third party lab to test tensile strength and % elongation. We report 450% elongation and 3200 psi on our spec. sheet, but the third party testing found 12% and a tensile strength of 3200 psi. Clearly something isn't right here so I have a few questions:

1.) My understanding is that aliphatic polyurea is a very flexible material and is considered an elastomer. 450% elongation seems more correct than 12%. I called the test lab and he said the material he received was already cured and very hard like a plastic. This doesn't seem right, but the tensile strength was there. Also, we test this to ASTM D2370 instead of ASTM D412...which one is more correct? Also, if we had a test sample that was 40 mils thick and pulled at 20 in/min vs. a 0.125" thick sample pulled at 2 in/min, should our % elongation still be pretty much the same value?

2.) Is aliphatic polyurea considered an thermoset elastomer or a thermoplastic elastomer?

3.) If we did in fact supply the correct material, how could it be possible to see 12% elongation. Is it possible for something to go wrong with the reaction to produce these results?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back