Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

All, I accidentally posted this pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduard47

Mechanical
May 16, 2002
US
All, I accidentally posted this problem while inside "ANSI B31.3 Rule of Thumb" thread. I apologize for this. So this is the proper place - and to start again: I have run a model 150 psig/370 deg F Steam @ 8" nom. diam. which ties-in axially to a 12" existing steam header. The existing steam header with multiple branch connections is hanged with plain hangers and in fact all the connections going back to the boiler. No seismic restraints can be seen anywhere around the header, not untill a few hundred feet of downstream lines where guides/slides, anchor and a expansion loop are visible. Briefly, the header is kind of floating with no any seismic bracing. My first attempt to model the existing header and connections to the hard anchors, yeild some overloading on the boiler nozzles. when I modeled it with our new system tie-in, loads and moments get even higher even with an expansion joint. Flex-Hose Co. has recommended their TriFlex Loop Expansion Loop and a seismic connector. I could scan and send the detail to anybody intrested if needed. My problem is how to incorporate this expansion loop into Caesar to reduce the effect of our new system tie-in into the existing system. It looks like a conventional expansion U-Loop with flange connections on both sides. The two offset legs are sort of a braided stainless steel hose which basically are the main elements that absorb axially and laterally loads and moments. Has anybody got any idea on how to handle this loop into modeling? Thanks a lot for an advice.

Eduard47

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back