Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allen bradley L35E time synch with NTP GPS clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

mixguy

Electrical
Feb 8, 2014
MY
Hi guys,

I am facing a problem to synch the AB L35E PLC with NTP GPS clock wia Ethernet TCP/IP. Would appreciate if anyoneof you could share the experience in this area. On another method, i am also thinking whether is it possible to synch the AB Panelview plus 700 time with NTP GPS CLOCK.

Search for any possible solution to read the NTP GPS clock.

Best regards,
Mixguy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Man, I wish. This is a feature I've been requesting from A-B for a long time but there just doesn't seem to be enough demand for them to implement it.

A-B systems can take GPS time signals using backplane modules from HIPROM, but I've never seen a good implementation of NTP with a Logix-family controller.

Do you have one of the PanelView Plus terminals that lets you access the Windows CE desktop ?

You might be able to have the PanelView Plus adjust its clock to the NTP server just by declaring the NTP server IP address as an "internet time source".

Then you could use the FactoryTalk View ME wall-clock update service to send the time to the PLC periodically.

This can get your PLC to within about a second of the PanelView Plus and the actual time. Until RA implements NTP protocol in the controller itself you're just not going to get any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back