Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Allowable bending stresses in 1926 steel/rivets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronster

Structural
Feb 22, 2001
US
I am investigating a theater constructed in 1926. What were the allowable bending, tensile, and shear stresses in steel at that time? Does anyone know of a good resource for identifying steel shapes for that period.
How do I determine the diameter of a rivet from the size of the rivet head? Were A502 rivets used at that time and how do I detrmine if they are grade 1 or 2?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

blueprint colleague said Bethlehem Steel site has archive section on old shapes.

Ferris, H. W., Iron and Steel Beams, 1873 - 1952,
American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC), Chicago,
Illinois, (1985).

And the standing steel AISC standard should be also obtainable from AISC, since the institution began in 1921

Thanks, I came up with the same book. 30 ksi steel was used then with an allowable bending stress of 18ksi.
Anybody out there know how to identify rivets??

Ronster, I would suggest posting this to the Bolt, Rivet and Weld engineering forum here. That is a very active forum and the members may have some insight.

I have a very old fastener book at home that I will look into and post whatever useful information I can. Also, don't discount ages old drafting books - details like that are often explain more fully than you'd think in those ageless references. Drafing references by French come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back