Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowable Capacity of C1020 Cold-Rolled Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

krus1972

Structural
Jan 21, 2004
US
Can someone tell me what allowable capacities are used when determining the allowable capacity of C1020 Cold-Rolled Steel?

I know what the tensile strength and the ultimate strength mechanical property values are, but, is there a code book or some other reference that describes the safety factors that must be used when determining the allowable shear and allowable tension of this material?

I am not so sure the AISC 360 Steel Construction Manual formulas apply to this material when determining allowable capacities, do they?

Thanks for any help...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is your application? Safety factors for a race car are completely different than a pedestrian walkway.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

It is being used within a residential building, so a pedestrian walkway would be the same.

Are there any references available?

You start with the building codes and see what products are allowed.
There will be certain specifications permitted, and these will then have minimum mechanical properties listed.
Then you to design codes for either permitted stresses or required safety factors.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

C1020 is an AISI designation. AISI typically specifies the chemistry, but not the mechanical properties. Differences in rolling temperature, degree the cross section is reduced, etc. will alter the mechanical properties. Most codes do not permit the use of AISI materials unless they are intended for minor attachments, brackets, etc.

Best regards - Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back