Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Allowable deflection for FRP pipe 1800dia

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoA

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2008
AE
Hi, what would be the allowable deflection for FRP Pipe supported on pipe bridge above ground.
Would appreciate your help in this.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i would start by asking the vendor. FRP is very vendor dependant / driven and they normally issue recomendations.

1800mm is pretty big.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thanks LittleInch, the vendor is Middle-East based and not a renowned one. So not getting enough support. I am looking for AWWA or ASME standard based guideline to calculate the max. allowable deflection. For underground pipe it is clearly given in the standards as 5% of the diameter. But my question is for aboveground pipe. I have a total pipe bridge span of 70m with support under the pipe at every 4.875m. for the overall bridge span of 70m what will be max. deflection allowed at the mid span?

I’m not experienced in any way When it comes to (large dus) FRP piping. But have you checked any of the ASME NM standards, since you’re asking for ASME guidelines?

Huub

I have checked ASME NM standard but it says that mid point deflection shall be 13mm max. for the unsupported span. In my case that span is 4.8m and the deflection is well below 13mm. But question is the overall 70m pipe span on the pipe-bridge. what is the max. allowable mid point deflection for that 70m pipe bridge?

You won't find this sort of data in a spec.

The sag of the bridge is up to you looking at the bending moment imposed on the pipe when it's full of contents. So you need to do a stress analysis.

FRP comes in many forms and is used interchangeably with GRE and other similar pipes.

How is this pipe jointed?
Any other technical details?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

AoA (Mechanical)(OP) said:
Hi, what would be the allowable deflection for FRP Pipe supported on pipe bridge above ground.
Would appreciate your help in this.
Hi AoA , the criteria is , the deflection between support shall be less than 1/2 in. (13 mm) and the bearing stress does not exceed 85 psi (the support must be wide enough ).

The above ground pipe shall also designed for thermal expansion.

Pls look AWWA MANUAL M45 Fiberglass Pipe Design . There are also worked examples in the manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back