Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Allowable lateral deflection bored/CFA piles 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mte12

Structural
Mar 1, 2022
AU
I was wondering if there's a reference for accepted lateral deflection at top of concrete pile, either bored or CFA, pile head is approximately at ground level.
Assuming it's dependent on type of structure supported, possibly it's height. For reference structure supported is a steel building, cladded with steel sheeting, may be 30m to 50m tall.

Have not come across any definitive criteria so far, for deflection or rotation at top of pile.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is generally no accepted worldwide criteria. It depends on many things, including pile size.

We have worked with many different consultants who adopted 1/2 inch (12mm)

Thanks EireChch.

Have you come across any publicly available criteria or specification that could be used in a calculation.

I also checked EC-7 but there is no limit defined and , this is servicebility issue which should be established as per sensivity of the structure such that '' value of the deformation is not required to check the serviceability limit state''

I looked Pile Design and Construction Practice ( by Tomlinson ) . which states , limiting value is 25mm.
Another reference , Foundation Design by W.C.Teng ,acc. to him, the allowable deformation for transmission line tower foundation limited to 1/2 inch.

For your case , for the steel building structure, cladded with steel sheeting, IMO, 15 mm could be adopted.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

No.. SLS loading case.

The horizontal deflection limit for your case ( Sway of single storey columns with steel sheet cladding ) should be height/300 . That makes 100 mm for 30m column ht.

He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock..

Luke 6:48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back