allowable lateral displacement due to wind load on the steel building

Status
Not open for further replies.

h-badawy

Structural
Jan 8, 2015
SA
Dear experts
I am using the the values H/600 to H /400 which are mentioned in ACI318 code of concrete for checking the lateral displacement of the steel building due to wind load but i feel that these values are very conservative and i need to make the building very rigid to satisfy these values and this is very costly ,my question is there any other reasonable value mentioned in the code i can use it instead of these conservative valuse.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

haithambadawy - check out this thread as it has a link to an AISC article on wind drifting: thread507-375945

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

It's useful to be aware of what return period wind you're considering, and what that might mean for the serviceability considerations you're reviewing.

For example, ASCE 7-10 Figure 26.5-1C, considered strength-level design winds on a Category I, structure has a mean return interval of about 300 years (15% probability of exceedance in 50 years). Contrast that with the roughly 700 year return interval (7% probability of exceedance in 50 years) of the Category II strength-level winds in Figure 26.5-1A. What risk tolerance do you/the client have for exceeding the drift limits? That may inform the use of any given wind speed for drift design.

Also, you can get wind speeds for other return periods (at least in the US) from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back