Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alluminum Alloys for pistons 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankas

Automotive
Oct 14, 2002
GR
I am looking for temperature dependent material properties for Alluminum Alloys. I know that a common used material for pistons is an Al Si Cu alloy. Please let me know if I am wrong and if someone know any links or books where I can find the properties.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The specific type of aluminum alloy used depends on how the piston is manufactured-- forged vs. cast. Forged pistons use wrought alloys like 2618 or 4032. You can obtain information on these alloys from Matweb:

Cast aluminum pistons are manufactured using proprietary alloys from Mahle, Kolbenschmidt, etc. They are alloys based on the Al Si Cu (3XX series in the US), with additions on Mg and Ni. Alloys 332, 336, & 339 were the first alloys developed, and the basis for the newer, proprietary alloys. Use Matweb for specifics on these alloys, and the following links for more information:

There are a number of reference books available with information on aluminum alloys. The bookstore on the ASM International website is a good place to browse:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back