Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Alternat; ASTM A487 Gr10B

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVIDSTECKER

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2005
US
I'm looking for recommendations for an alternative to ASTM A487 Gr 10B.
A487 is for Pressure Service castings and requires a lot of heat treating to process.
Many years ago, our Metallurgist, who has since passed, selected this material to cast hammer heads out of.
We hadn't made any of these for a very long time, but I have an order for them now.
I placed a PO with the foundry that made them for us in the past but for some reason the still haven't delivered on an order I placed back in Augst of last year.
I asked another foundry to quote me, but they came in at over 4X my current cost.
Assuming I ever get what I ordered.
FYI; it weighs 3-1/2#
This hammer head is to drive an "S" shaped strip of metal into the end of a railroad tie, so no real impact on the head.
I would appreciate the groups thoughts on what would be a suitable cast material for the product.
One alloy I'm thinking about is A128, Hadfield Manganese.
It work hardens and gets tougher as it gets used.
We actually cast boat anchors out of the stuff, but mainly for its non-magnetic properties.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards, David
PICT0071_lrxvjg.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Hadfield austenitic manganese steel for a128 grade is highlighted by its wear resistance and high impact energy. In order to maximize those properties, solution annealing coupled with Ti addition may need to be considered.

iorder

MFAMET; Thank you for the input.
Sorry about taking so long to respond, I've been traveling, and things are nuts at work.
Best regards, David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back