Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternate blind rivet pulling tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWan

Aerospace
Apr 18, 2008
US
Howdy all,

I would like to pull a size 8 Monobolt from Avdel, but their stem size is .174 compared with a cherry stem which is .143, and the shape needed for the nose is a bit different. It annoys me that there are ~15 different blind fastener styles that need 30 different guns each equipped with 3 or 4 different noses to accomodate different sizes. They all are based on the same principal of pulling stem while applying force to the head. Is there some list that crossreferences the fasteners with the guns that could pull them so that you only need this small set of guns and a larger set of noses that all fit on each gun? This seems like an area ripe for standardization to me.

Thanks for the help,

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be nice, but won't ever happen.

Each manufacturer will only endorse the performance of their fastener when assembled with their tool.

yeah. I understand it, but I don't like it. What about a non-official list. Say someone says from experience that such and such a tool will work in the place of a gold plated solution? I could even envision doing a pull test to say that this fastener can be pulled with this gun and shows equivalent strenght to the fastener being pulled with the OEM gun. Of course if you had both guns, why would you test and qualify an alternate?

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Yeah, pulling and qualifying are different things.

Some rascal absconded with my Sears hydraulic hand rivet gun, that just needed a few different size of nose pieces to pull most any rivet, and didn't jump around or try to break your wrist when the stem broke. I really miss that old tool.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back