Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative Command for Tube Command to Generate a line with "Thickness" (image attached) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaortiz01

Mechanical
Apr 1, 2020
US
Hello there,

I am wondering if there is an alternate command to the Tube Command. What I need is: from a series of Projected Lines into an irregular shape body, create a Tube on those lines without using the actual Tube Command. I will attach an image for visual assistance.
I need an alternative route because of this problem:

Capture_wtwq6k.png

The problem with the Tube Command is that it creates the feature on continuous lines, not on separate lines. So, whenever I create a Tube for each of the Projected Lines, it takes a very long time to do that. Furthermore, sometimes the complete line is not selected because of the irregular shape of the body.
Additionally, if I were to change the number of lines in the sketch---> that will change the number of lines in the Projected Curve---> But, the tube command will not follow along with the new set of lines.

It will really help me if you know some other way of generating these lines with "thickness"
I hope I made myself clear. Ask any question if you need additional information to solve this problem.

Thank you all people :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the 'line' are continuous, you should be able to 'chain' them as if they were a single curve. And if they're not continuous, have you tried 'Joining' the 'lines' together to form a single continuous Spline curve?

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

It looks as though the lines are planar (each set). If so, you can extrude the entire set symmetrically in the direction of the plane and offset symmetrically by the radius dim of the tube. Then use Blend edge and select all of the extrusion edges and blend with a radius matching the tube radius.

"Tubes" created in three features:
tubes_fxajy5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back