Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Alternative Lost-wax casting for complex metal parts 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

enomoti

Industrial
Jun 16, 2015
ES
We want to replace our current Lost wax casting process with which we manufacture complex metal parts for Aerospace Industry (Al-Li), with a different, suitable Technology in order to lower cost & time.

Which Technologies would you propose?
Which are the top companies working on those?
How much you think we could save?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Making SLS wax masters is one proven option, as is the SLA hollow plastic master process.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

arunmrao, Ennomotive is looking for alternative Investment Casting processes, not sand-casting options.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Some parts there is no substitution of any casting process except lost wax. An example is hot section turbine blades. Air foil shape tolerances and smooth surfaces and extremely complex and tight tolerance cores and super alloy materials requiring vacuum melt and pour. There is no substitute.

Part tolerance is one of the major reasons to use investment castings. You will have to machine more details if the tolerances are tight.

Lost foam casting is investment casting except the investment part is foam part.

Look at your parts being cast using lost wax and review part tolerances and features. Permanent mold casting or die casting are possibilities if the volumes are high enough and the materails are strong enough.

Machine the part from solid is the complexity is not great.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot KENAT, arunmrao, capnhook, TVP, ornerynorsk and BillPSU
for putting so much thought in it, and sharing your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back