Alternative Replacement of Scaffolding at Plant 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformator

Materials
Jul 23, 2019
RO
Hi everyone

Let me introduce you overall situation that I am encountering now and hope that there exist alternatives. At refinery, each year we have to perform Non-Destructive Test at pipelines ( near welds, at elbows,after supports and etc.). It means, that at each welds, elbows, support we must build scaffold in order to dismantle insulation and perform Non-Destructive Examinations. As you may understand it costs a lot. Each year more than 1500 pipelines have to be examined. That is why I need some alternative replacement for scaffolding that will be cost effective and safe. Is there any alternatives?

Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi LittleInch

Thank you for answer. Yes, I meant piping:)

Here, at local refinery all non-destructive examination for piping are done while in service to save time and energy.

Unfortunately, local law dictates that it is mandatory to make Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement while UT/guided wave is more like a screening tool

Ah, you never said that before.

Well you're stuck then.

I have heard of people placing permanent UT probes / mats to measure WT remotely so maybe in the ones which cost the most you could do that.

Where is there a "law" to make UT measurements yearly ??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Overall situation is like this:

Authorities decided to monitor overall condition of pipes and equipment at the plant by making us or subcontractors to develop special non- destructive programs. Okay, lets now concentrate at pipes. Each program consists of several non-destructive examination (Visual Inspection, Ultrasonic Measurement, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant and etc.). At program, it is pointed at which places we have to execute those examinations (before welding, after welding; before support, after support and etc.). After examinations are completed, special governmental organ will issue authorization for 10 years with obligation to perform UT( after each 2 or 4 years, depends on report issued by organ) . That is why it is very expensive to build scaffolds and dismantle insulation in order to perform UT. That is why I am concerned about alternative solution to replace scaffolding:) Basically, I am concerned about saving money somehow

Any suggestion?

Yeah, we are using this kinds of manlifting machines, however, they don't have access to inside of installation. IT is unfortunate limitation

About those 3 options that LittleInch provided. They are pretty good. I will try to find some way to implement them. Than you.

Seems like you may be down to creating some type of modular scaffolding that can be attached to permanently installed support points. If the testing is a one person job, perhaps some strategically located permanently installed hoists and Bosun chairs?

Dear Buggar and HotRod10

Good idea! However, pipes are above ground and there isn't much space at installations to maneuver

About Bosun chairs, I need to talk with Safety Department if it is acceptable. But as far as i know Bosun chairs are not as stable as scaffolds and that can be the reason why management can reject this idea. Moreover, is it possible to dismantle insulation using Bosun Chair :(

If you have any other alternative ideas, please share, you are more than welcome:)

Perhaps a similar concept to the chairs, but something more substantial. I was thinking of permanently installed hoists, a platform big enough for the inspector(s) and the insulation that needs to be removed, and permanent stabilization anchor points to attach the platform to at the working height, to lock it off and keep it from swinging while the work is done. It might take a fair number of hoists installed and wired up, and likely some creative fabrication and welding to get the anchor points where they need to be, but it seems it could be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back