Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Alternative to direct Chlorination in a Cooling Water System ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techcitizen

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2001
IN
Can somebody suggest an alternative (other than NaOCl) to direct Chlorination (which is done by mixing gaseous chlorine in water thru a ejector) for a large Cooling Water System (circulating flow of approx. 36000 cu.m/hr) ? What is your experience with such a system ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have a number of alternatives available at varying degrees of cost and effectiveness.

1. Bromine (available in several forms).
2. Mixture of bromine/chlorine.
3. Chlorine dioxide
4. Ozone
5. Hydrogen peroxide

Gajjar,

If your problem is the environmental effect of the chlorine, it might be worthwhile to consider the discontinuous use of chlorine (pulse chlorination). This method can reduce your chlorine consumption with up to 90 %. Think I have a paper on it on my pc, please contact me if you're interested.

Edwin Muller
KEMA Power Generation & Sustainables
Arnhem, The Netherlands
E-mail e.f.muller@kema.nl
Internet:

We recently did a study for the same application. Sodium hypochlorite is the most economical alternative to gaseous chlorine. If you have an open cooling water system, you are probably already regulated to 2 hours per day for chlorination.

Some clients prefer the use of bromine. But, bromine has to be activated by chlorine so you are using both chemicals. Chlorine dioxide is an acceptable alternative, but at greatly increased cost. Other alternatives are probably not economically acceptable.

jherbert,
Any idea about feasibility of Ozone for large circulating flows (say 36000 cu.m/hr) ? What kind of technology you have adopted, who has supplied it, what is the circulating flow in your case and what is the approx cost ?

Thanks in advance for the replies !

gajjar,

In the US market, ozone is never used for power plants. Besides the cost, ozone provides no residual.

fherbert is talking about small commercial cooling systems where the users often don't even know if the systems are working.

I suggest you to go for a chlorine dioxideor bromine as an alternate to chlorine.

to eliminate chlorine you can also use non oxidizing biocides.

Ion Exchange Indai ltd can help u in this regard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back