Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative To Hardox

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc0213

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2010
US
I just started working with Hardox. We are looking to cut cost and weight. For cost, Hardox seems to be at a premium price. Is there a comparable material, at a lower cost, with the same/or near same resistance?

And, what is the difference between Hardox and the similar steel? Why is Hardox priced at a premium price, over other similar material?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Search of AR steel plate. There are lots of options (various hardness and strength).
Though Hardox has a great reputation.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

most important, what is the application ? and what is the problem ? What grade are you using ? depending on your location, there are probably several appropriate alternative products.

Thanks, for the replies. So, Hardox is the most well known AR Steel brand. That is the only brand we use. Would the price of AR Steel from other companies be cheaper? We are looking to lower the weight of the trailer/machine, also. Is there a comparable material that could substitute, or come close to substituting, to AR Steel?

The other question, came from the sales/marketing department, is, what is the advantage of AR Steel, particularly Hardox, over other materials? Does the average customer really care about the Hardox brand? Or, can we use a different brand, or even a non-AR Steel?

macmil,

We are using it for the dump trailer, dump bodies, off road machines, etc. Consumers are using the products move anything, from riprap, small to large aggregate, scrap metal, etc.

The AR steels come in a wide range of properties, so make sure you specify which you are working with.
People usually use AR steel when they don't (or can't) use a lining.
Common linings that are used to resist abrasion are rubber and HDPE. But linings are very application specific, what works for rock will not work for metal.
Could you use non-AR steel, sure. Would your customers care that it wore out quickly?
First, figure out which grade of Hardox you are using.
Then begin searching for other sources with similar properties.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

rc0213,
I would advise you to contact SSAB design/technical team with your challenges. They are very helpful and come to your assistance. I have seen some of their videos on such conversions compared to other products in the market. ( Disclaimer, I am not connected with SSAB).

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back