Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Alternative to screw captive idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluTurtle

Coastal
Sep 29, 2009
Hi,

In our assembly section, we use electric nut/screw drivers. Because, they are magnetic, the fasteners are captive in the tool and makes it easier with lesser handling.

Now, I am looking for ideas on similar lines to drive a stainless steel fasteners. Are there any ways to reduce the handling time. Because these easterners aren't magnetic, not the assemblers as to hold the tool, faster and the parts to fasten simultaneously. Its difficult.

Thanks
BT

~ BT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BluTurtle,

Most stainless steel fasteners are austenitic stainless, which is not magnetic. Ferritic stainless is. I could have that terminology backwards.

How about some sort of socket head? Hex socket head cap screws are easy to get. Robertson or Torx sockets may be available if you look hard enough.

Would a hexagon head screw work for you?

Critter.gif
JHG

It has been a while but I have used Mountz (and maybe ASG/Jergens) drivers with vacuum attachment accessories. It will depend on the size of the fastener you are using and what you have available for an air supply.

Harold
SW2010 SP1.0 OPW2010 SP1.0 Win XP Pro 2002 SP3
Dell 690, Xeon 5160 @3.00GHz, 3.25GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX4600

I could be wrong but I think Torx heads are particularly good for this, as drawoh brings up. I'm going from memory based on when we were looking at mass producing something at a previous employer and the manufacturing engineer wanted to change screw heads to support this.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

KENAT,

When I am designing something that requires the assembler to hold on to an inaccessible screw, I specify hex socket head cap screws. I know that these remain attached to a horizontal driver. Robertson screws mostly are self-tapping wood screws. They also remain attached to a horizontal driver, and you can apply lots of torque to them. They might be available as machine screws in stainless, especially if you need a lot of them.

Torx screws look to me like they would work, but I have never actually handled one. I am not sure I own a Torx driver.

Critter.gif
JHG

drawoh, I only own some because they came with a cheap ratchet driver with separate bits. Not sure I've ever used them, I think maybe once.

I just remember the manufacturing guy saying how they worked with autofed drivers or something.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back