Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ALTERNATIVES for Bronze Body/Trim for Globe Control Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbelly84

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2010
IT
Customer is asking for a 2" globe valve with ASTM B62 body with Bronze trim.

Are there equivalent alternatives to propose? DUPLEX could do?

Unfortunately service and fluid are unknown for now.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i know it's not a proper question, without knowing what the valve is going to do and which fluid is going to regulate.

what i want to know is if there are some materials that are universally considered like good alternatives to bronze

We have found that the pricing for bronze valves for small diameter threaded is high, and for general service (we use for steam and water) we have moved to a forged steel valve with stainless internals. These valves are rated at a MUCH higher pressure (800 psi vs 300) AND are less expensive. Many manufacturers make both the bronze and forged, we use Powell, but have used Vogt, Velan, etx.

Your question is a typical 'crossover' technical/commercial question of what is commercial available and cheapest/best on the market.

This question is always related to:

Logistics
-What is produced within cost accesible transport distance-

Market and application
- There is still for instance some producers that are producing low-priced bronze valves for common seawater/ship use; where for larger valaves or valves for higher pressures, requiring special castings or bar-stock, the bronze material could be replaced by other non-corrosive materials, or steel- /nodular iron if adequate.

I do not believe there is a single answer to your question without specifying application details.

As above, without further details, it's difficult to spec alternatives, but in general, the only alternatives we usually see for bronze is monel, and we only see that in the trim. Price is obviously a factor. I've never really seen duplex as an alternative to bronze.

Heather Smith
My interests: Alloy valves, duplex valves, super duplex valves, 6Moly valves, inconel valves, incoloy valves, alloy 20 valves and titanium valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back