Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ALTREPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsmc

Military
Dec 16, 2003
CA
Is anyone successfully using altreps ?
We've been using multiple reference sets to depict parts that can take on more than one configuration, depending on how/where they're applied (hoses, cables for example).
Initiatives such as weight management, and (jt) file exporting (to Product Vision) don't work well with the multiple reference set philosophy though.
The concept of altreps seems to be just the ticket, but there are some details for which more than one approach is possible.
Issues such as naming convention, releasing in Teamcenter are of interest

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Altreps, altreps can be used to carry simplified lightweight versions of parts. It saves ram and time. Great for large assemblies.

Dom

I used alt reps to show an assembly in each different position. It was for a Height Adjuster (seatbelt). 3 alt-reps = 3 possible positions.

Alt-Rep #1=Upper position
Alt-Rep #2=Middle Position
Alt-Rep #3=Lower Position

Marina M.
Designer, Platform Engineering
Quality Safety Sysytems

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick thought, I use to use ALt-Reps like Dinamo78 and probably like everyone else I now to show different positions of components.

However now I give serious attention to 'Arrangements' and they are very easy to use, although there is one thing I need to point out and that they do not work with Mating Conditions, which I use a lot as the parts are basic and mechanical in nature. Although on this point I would like someone to let me know that I might have missed something.

I know there are always exceptions and we cannot always generalise but 'Arrangements' are definitely worth a look. It was a very good feature that has been in Ideas for quite sometime and very useful.

I hope this is of interest.

Best Regards

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.