Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminium bronze in aerospace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhartish

Aerospace
Jun 10, 2018
IN

I am working in the field of laser surface texturing to enhance the tribological performance of mechanical components.

In this regard, I would like to know whether there is any application of aluminium bronze for any of the aerospace components (contact applications). I am in search of aerospace materials which fails early so that texturing could enhance it's life.
M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bhartish...

Aluminum Bronze, aluminum-nickel bronze, copper-nickel-tin-bronze and copper-beryllium alloys are commonly used in aerospace applications.

Certain high hardness HT CRES/CREN alloys 440C, 17-4PH and PH13-8mo are also widely used.

See
SAE AIR1594 Plain Bearing Selection for Landing Gear Applications
SAE AIR5883 Landing Gear Shock Struts Bearing Selection

Generally friction and wear reissuance is dictated by plain bearing surface finish/texture, lubricant distribution passages and surface clearances.

ASME B46.1 Surface Texture (Surface Roughness, Waviness, and Lay)

Randomized/cross-hatched surface textures are generated by shot blasting [external] or flex-honing [interior]. I understand laser shock-peening is being used on exterior surfaces for texturing... not so sure about how it could be used on internal [plain bearing] surfaces [accessibility?].

Regards, Wil Taylor

o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Laser shock-peening "...how it could be used on internal [plain bearing] surfaces [accessibility?]."

Little mirror?

Even inside a very small bushing, a small mirror at 45° could be inserted and spun around while also translating lengthwise. The laser beam could even be routed through the (rotating) mirror support tube to accomplish it all from one end.

Excuse the interruption. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back