Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminium cable lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinrelayer

Electrical
Oct 26, 2007
UY
Hello I have the cable lugs Al-Cu in an installation
I would like to know if the attached tool for crimping is okay or if it should be hexagonal.
Any insight would be much appreciated!!
cable_lug_al-cu_pnjdsa.png

thanks!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are these filled with grease and abrasive?
What crimp tool does the manufacturer recommended?
I would strongly suggest hex and some testing.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Dear Mr. martinrelayer (Electrical)(OP)22 Oct 21 11:33
"... I have the cable lugs Al-Cu in an installation....would like to know 1)if the attached tool for crimping is okay or 2) if it should be hexagonal".
1) There is no [tool for crimping] shown in both pictures. If the tool is with the correct die set recommended or manufactured by the same manufacturer as the lug; it should be acceptable. The manufacturer should know better. Attention: Correct crimping tool with the correct die designed for the lug size is critical for Al conductor.
2) Both crimping (shown in both pictures) or hexagonal methods are acceptable. They have been in practice for many years. Lately, hexagonal is gaining popularity.
3) BTW: For Al conductors observe the manufacturer's instruction, use the correct lug with correct crimping tool and die. Brush the conductors with sealant and ensure that the compound inside the lug is been forced out. When there are (two crimps), start with the first crimp [on the closed end of the lug]. Followed by the (second crimp) towards the [open end].
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Indent crimps are common on smaller sizes. Hex square and round crimps are common on larger sizes. Indent crimps become less common for sizes above the pictured example.
There are exceptions.
One exception is the self indenting connectors used for field repair welding cables.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

An interesting anecdote in regards to connecting copper and aluminum:
A distribution system may be configured with the primary distribution conductors uppermost on the pole.
A distribution transformer mounted to the pole below the primary conductors.
Below the transformer is a secondary rack with aluminum secondary conductors.
A small distribution system was wired with copper conductors dropping from the transformer terminals and with a short 90 deg bend, lugged to the aluminum conductors.
Acid rain on the connection would react with the copper and form a fairly efficient electrolyte.
This electrolyte would run down onto the aluminum and facilitate accelerated corrosion.
Smoking connections were common throughout the system and repairs were an ongoing expense.
A visiting engineer suggested making the copper drops slightly longer and connecting the copper under the aluminum rather above the aluminum.
The rain on the aluminum did not produce the same electrolyte as rain on copper.
The combination of gravity and the washing action of the rain worked to eliminate the corrosion.
I wish that I could take credit for this fix but it was an engineer from Florida Light and Power who made the observation and suggestion.
The repairs were almost finished by the time that I became involved with the system.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Seem to recall the Province of Ontario had a bit of a problem with aluminum conductors and copper fasteners... could something similar happen?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Ask anyone living east of Sudbury if they know of any acid rain in Ontario. grin

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

For all crimped lugs the manufacturer provides the crimping tools and the executor must use only these tools in order to keep the warranty.
The lug in the picture, it seems to me, is in line with the BS standard for flexible conductor. In my opinion, you need to contact the lug manufacturer and request a tool proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back