Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminium sheet heat distortion caused by powder coating process

Status
Not open for further replies.

slhuk

Industrial
Jun 24, 2019
GB
Hello,
We have been having the same problem for many years. We process tonnes of sheet aluminium every year - 1mm to 1.5mm thickness. The aluminium is 5251 H28 and was selected for it's resilience to plastic deformation compared to the more common grade 5251 H22. The problem is heat distortion which usually runs along the grain of the aluminium. This occurs during the powder coat process where the panels are subjected to temperatures of around 210C. I have found many other grades of aluminium which have similar properties to 5251 H28 but that have been annealed to 3/4 hard or 1/2 hard, unlike 5251 H28 which is only partially annealed. Am I correct in thinking that if I use a material such as 5086 H24 (annealed to half hard) there should be less pre-tension remaining in the sheet and the panels should be less likely to bow when heat is applied? Panel size tends to be about 500mm x 1000mm.
Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back