Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum 7075 - T6

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. BR

Student
Mar 1, 2024
BR
Hello guys,

I'm doing a failure analisys on an aluminum 7075 T6. I think the failure mode is brittle. Attached the SEM image.

The supplier send the "recipe" for the T6. What do you think about this recipe?

Solution Heat treatment: 470°C(880F) - 2h - water cooling
Precipitation: 120°C(250F)2h + 180°C(360F)
Recristalization: 260°C(500F) - 3h - air cooling

Some times they do the T6 twice. Do you think this is a problem?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=129956fe-4a20-4308-ab53-c9f666b09d6c&file=7075-_1.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd be surprised if 7075T6 is "brittle" ... sure it may be an overload failure but Aluminium has some ductility.

You can find out about 7075T6 for online sources, like Mil Handbook 5J or AR-MMPDS-01 (or -0x, there are several versions, some behind pay walls).

"T6" should be thin sheet can be thick plate (but more often T651). some specs ... AMS 4044, AMS 4045, AMS QQ-A-250/12

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

I was also suprised analysing it..... but on SEM images/analysis there was no signs of deformation, voids... nothing...

is it thin sheet ? plate ?? machining ??

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Was there any straightening involved.
It may be from forging. And how it was heat treated.
Take the whole part and have it zyglo penetrant inspected. Now that is scrap. And not repairable. Cut it up and do met lab samples.
Spectral analysis
Sem
Pull a couple of tensile
Do a charpy test. If it's brittle that will tell you. So will the tensile.
Your on a mission to what it is not.

not that it's a big deal but heat treating to T6 after the original melt makes T62, which has all the properties of T6.

There look to be some awful stress concentrations in those sharp corners ?

yes, cut coupons from the scrap and verify properties (just to be sure).

rb1957 said:
I'd be surprised if 7075T6 is "brittle"...

I tried to move a tent that had poles made from Aluminium 7005-T6. There was no discernable ductility. The first sign of trouble was when they snapped. Now that is not 7075 alloy, but the yield and ultimate stresses are awfully close together.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back