Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum 713.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw1st

Industrial
Jan 17, 2011
CA
Gentlemen, for those of you in aluminum, We've pouring 355.0 and 356.0 for for many years now, and I'm familiar with melting, processing, etc. of these alloys.
Recently, we got an order for parts cast in 713.0 (parts investment process, casting wt. .75 lb, wall thickness .375''). I have to get it right the fist time.
No time for trial and error. Are there special precautions I should take as far as melting, pouring, degassing, etc. since 713 is different than 356 for example?
(Similar but different). I researched internet and literature regarding the subject but didn't come across any stuff I didn't already know.
Any information would much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

713.0 is very obscure... and 713.1 [improved version of 713.0?] was only found in [1] document... Both are marginally listed in my Aluminum Association data.

What material/process specification [ASTM, AMS, ISO, etc?]?

What temper?

Why no trial runs... this is a set-up for Your failure...??

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Yes, I take risks without assurances of success. It's my weeknes. Anyway,ASTM specification B26 temper T5. Parts are already poured - no trial. Luckily for me they look great. I fluxed, degased,refined our usual way. Pour temp. 1200 F -1220 F, shell temp. 300 F - 400F.

OK... so MW1st [24 Sep 22 08:10]... You are past the theoretical question You opened with... and You have ACTUAL 'cast parts' on the table...

NOW... all You have to do is verify casting quality by RANDOM selection of sample parts [% determined based on production quantity] from the actual production lot... for dimensional inspection and nondestructive inspection and destructive testing and metallurgy chemistry/examination... and then stick to a regimen of suitable inspections/NDI for the remaining [customer] parts of THAT cast-LOT...AND THEN You'll have success.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back