Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum adhesive with glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzenek95

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2019
PL
Hello,
I have a matter related to the consultation on the selection of the right adhesive for connecting the glass with the aluminum profile (initial assumption - the contact surface of the glass with the profile, additionally powder coated - if necessary, you can protect the surface to obtain raw aluminum). According to the following diagram (sketch A), the glass will be installed in the chamber. The glass in the "C-profile" glued on the length of 1m from the bottom supported by an additional element (by gravity there is no option to move down). The glass is glued to the "C-profiles" on both sides (C-profiles rigidly attached to the ground - upper and lower edge free from all sections), so the connection must be durable because its task is to maintain a specific external dimension between the C-profiles. The idea of ​​a "project" is simple - something like a glass gate. Unfortunately, there is no way to change the concept, so the question of glue selection remains:
1. Which adhesive will be most suitable for the connection described above (UV cured adhesive, silicone adhesives, other suggestions)?
2. What should be the gap between the glass and the profile? - here it is possible to use a gap from 2.5mm (per side) to 0.00mm. I assume that the more space for glue, the longer the glue cures, but I wonder what values ​​are recommended for specific glues)
3. How durable is the connection and is it additionally weatherproof?
4. What time is necessary to achieve full curing of the adhesive?
5. Will the recesses on the contact surface (sketch B) cause a problem connecting the glass with the profile or on the contrary? - open-ended proposition
6. Will the glass be much easier to stick to plastic (replacement for aluminum profile)? If so, what material will be the most suitable and what adhesive to use in this case? - Of course, this option is only a proposal that I would not like to use.
This is not a single attempt to glue elements, but it will be a little more "production" (if you can call it that ...) so I would like a glue that will allow quick application and relatively fast hardening. I have limited technical knowledge in the field of gluing, so I count on your help. The color of the adhesive is a secondary topic. Glass thickness 8mm or 12mm (information not relevant when choosing the right adhesive).
Exterior use, so the adhesive should also be resistant to weather conditions (point 3) and to accidental impacts that may arise with the participation of man. The issue of the strength of the post in the form of a C-profile additionally reinforced is a topic that I can definitely deal with and it is only about "holding" the glass by glue on impacts.
The following diagrams have been made for illustrative purposes.
Thank you very much for all the information that will be useful to me.
Best regards

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=42a9505f-cac5-4c5b-aef3-4e202bce0820&file=Szkice.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Find out what they use to glue rear view mirrors to windshields. I think it's some kind of cyanoacrylate.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

You ask many good questions but the answers are not that simple and there are a number of incorrect assumptions in your questions. An expert would have the needed experience to know which specific adhesive product to use and what design details are crucial. There are literally thousands of adhesive formulations out there for thousands of different applications.

I will offer these tips:

> A consistent and thick bond line (at least 2 or 3 mm)is need to allow for movement between the glass and aluminum due to thermal expansion without excessive stress.

> For the same reason you want a low modulus adhesive (elastomeric).

> You want a two-part adhesive. Solvent based will not dry well between glass and aluminum, and you do not want drying shrinkage in a fixed gap. RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) are moisture curing and will cure very slowly in thick gaps. Heat cure adhesives will cause the aluminum to expand more than the glass.

>A two-part, non-sagging silicone is likely to be most suitable due to excellent adhesion to glass and aluminum, environmental durability, and low modulus.

Window glass in cars has a frit applied to it (the black dots you can see around the edge of the windshield) that improves the bond of the adhesive to the glass, and also shields the urethane adhesive used from UV degradation. Urethane has generally better strength than silicone, but also a low modulus. Not sure how much you are relying on the adhesive for strength.

Hello,
Thank you for your answer. As for the design itself, it is a glass balustrade, so the main task of the adhesive is to maintain the external dimension. Due to the fact that one fence will have two windows; one fixed and one mobile movable by cylinders. Therefore, the main guidelines for glue are:
1. Relatively easy application
2. Cure the adhesive as soon as possible
3. maintaining the external dimension of the railing
4. Possible glass operation due to adhesive flexibility
It is likely that the system will be implemented into production, so the assumptions also include the option to automate production. On the basis of such short information, are you gentlemen to help in the selection of glue?
When it comes to applying the adhesive, there are two options:
1. Apply the right amount of glue to the chamber through the nozzle and then slide the glass so that the glue flows out from the sides and binds the glass to the profile.
2. Slide the glass into the profile and then apply adhesive using the nozzle between the glass and the profile.
Due to the small looseness, the second solution is more complicated and I would like to apply the first.
Due to the fact that I have little knowledge in the field of gluing, he is open to questions that are necessary to help in choosing the right glue.
best regards

PS.
The sketches sent in the first message (sketch B) contain recesses in the profile. Does this profile promote gluing? is it not favored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back