Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum beer bottles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

packdad

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2001
US
According to our local newspaper, a brewery is marketing aluminum beer bottles. The following quote is from the original article:

"The brewery has partnered with Alcoa, the world's largest aluminum maker, to produce aluminum bottles that keep beer colder for as much as 50 minutes longer than a glass bottle, Alcoa officials said."

That has to be a misquote, right? I mean, unless the bottles are two inches thick or something.

URL for original article:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dual wall would be my guess too, except that one of the associated blips on the Alcoa site showed other aluminum bottles for things like shampoo.

Guess I'll just need to buy a case.

There are several ways to meet the insulating effects.
1- doublewall with air free/vacuum compartment design
2- doublewall filled with liquid or foam insulation
3- insulating lining inside or outside the can
ER

I finally got my hands on a case. The bottle is made out of 1/32" extruded aluminum. No double wall or anything.

It seems to keep the beer warmer longer, but I did not do anything except wait a little bit and the beer seemed colder than expected.

There is one design flaw. The caps are not tiwst-off and the aluminum bottle is colder to hold onto than glass

Sounds like a marketing ploy.

Trick the mind into thinking the beer is cold by making the outside of the container colder with a better thermal conductor. Sounds like the beer would arm up faster.

Why make an aluminum bottle? Cans seem to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back