Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum Design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbyrd77

Structural
Aug 4, 2010
US
I am going to be attempting my first aluminum structure design over the next few weeks (luckily its very small), but I was curious to see what the latest version of the Aluminum Design Manual was. Everything that I can find points to 2010, but I just wanted to double check. Plus, I was trying to find out where I can purchase one. I looked on and I could not find.

Also, if anyone has any great literature that I could be on the look out for to assist me that would great.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The book is hard to find, but it's here:
Send them $295, plus shipping, handling and whatever else they can dream up and they'll send you one. I've gotten previous editions and they're very good, although we don't do a lot of elaborate designs, mostly simple span stuff. One minor gripe, the binder was the standard Office Depot, off the shelf stuff. It was torn when we got it. For that price, a heavier duty binder would of been nice.

Check the governing building code. It will tell you which version of the code is applicable to your project. IBC 2006 specifies the 2000 version of the Aluminum Design Manual.

When doing your design, read through it the specification and commentary to get a feel for how it works. Then go right to the Design Guides. They've already done all the buckling constant math for you.

P.E.
Oratio imago animi.

If you're new to aluminum design, I'd start with the 2010 code. It's arranged in the same way as the AISC code, which really helps. The content seems mostly the same. But, it will take less time to digest the code provisions....

Agree with JoshPlum...start there, but also check to see which is referenced in your particular code as w12x40 noted.....that's the one that will prevail.

Have done lots of aluminum structural design...be careful with the ADM provisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back