Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

aluminum rivets with steel stems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCivil

Civil/Environmental
Nov 13, 2012
NZ
I work in the construction space. historically for exterior applications, i will use stainless steel fasteners (depending on what the application is).

I have a client doing aluminium cladding. we've specified all stainless steel screws, but there are some areas where rivets are desired. in these areas the client wants to use aluminium rivets.

looking at the local suppliers tech info, it looks like the aluminium rivets have zinc plated steel stems. this is a serious red flag for corrosion.

I'm thinking, the steel stems, once "popped" off, will leave an exposed area of steel where corrosion will start and progress rapidly. and because the fastener components are so small, thin, and get stressed and crushed somewhat during the "popping", corrosion will be rapid, especially in a coastal, humid, wet environment?

or is this acceptable - because via the cladding, the aluminium is forming a very large bodied anode, whereas the steel is a small bodied cathode?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can the rivet be hollow once pulled, or do you need the stem plugging the hole?
For strength?
For water-tightness?
Will the structure be painted after the rivets are driven?
What size of rivet do you need? There are some options that are only available down to about 3/16" diameter.
Do you have a lot of control of the shank length or is it very variable? I've found types that can clamp up well with wide ranges of depth but they have other limitations like needing a special tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back