Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aluminum temper clarification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebedar

Aerospace
Jul 1, 2009
US
I am looking for help concerning a quality question concerning aluminum tempers. For example blueprint requirement: aluminum 6061-T6 It is my understanding that any of the following would meet that requirement 6061-T6, 6061-T651, 6061-T6511 is this a true statement and where would I find objective evidence of this statement

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

T6 is the basic designation for solution treated and artifically aged. The various suffixes after the 6 refer to supplemental treatments that are applied,such as stretching or straightening. These suffixes will be applicable to various product forms, but not all. For example, you will find a T6511 designation for 6061 extruded bar but not for 6061 rolled bar.So, the answer to your question, is "it depends".

I should add that the governing specification is the most important item to consider. If you are working with an aerospace spec, such as an AMS, the product form will be defined as well as the allowable T6 suffix variants. If you are working with a commercial spec, there is much more leeway and the important characteristic then are the mechanical properties, with the various T6 suffixes being considered interchangeable unless otherwise defined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back