Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aluminum vs. ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtem

Materials
May 28, 2003
JP
I have attrition milled aluminum (Al) and alumina (Al2O3) mixtures in absolute ethanol. After that checked water content by Carl-Fischer titration method and revealed that it contains higher water (hydroxyl) content than those milled in ethanol which contains(5-10%)water. Water content was almost twice higher than those used 5% water containing ethanol. Does any one knows about any reference on the interaction between Al and absolute ethanol? I found 1 thread from keyword search but no one has replied it.
Any idea and suggestion (literature reference) will be appreciated.
Thanks,
jtem

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Per the Aluminum Association's publication number 60 "Guidelines for the use of Aluminum with food and chemicals" sixth edition 1994, "In laboratory tests, alloy 3003 was resistant to commercial (95%) ethyl alcohol and its aqueous solutions. In other laboratory tests, anhydrous ethyly alcohol was corrosive to aluminum alloys. Aluminum alloys have been used commercially for stills, heat exchangers, drums, tanks and piping in the processing of ethyl alcohol, and piping in the procesing of ethyl alcohol and products employing ethyl alcohol in their manuracturerer."

IFRs, thanks.
I will try to find this reference.
About the mixtures, which I used to mill, I am suspecting that there is chemical interaction between fresh surfaces of aluminum and absolute ethanol with liberation of water. However, I could not find a reaction mechanism between these compounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back