Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amada FONT 4000 watt

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasermate

Industrial
Sep 22, 2008
US
Help please. I am having issues with a chrome coming off the tip of 2mm double nozzle. I'm cutting 0.08 stainless. Using nitrogen to cut and about every 20 hours I have to replace the nozzle. Any idea why this is happening.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would cut it with a 2.0 single. the wear is most likely coming from blow back on the pierce, you can try a type 6 pierce ( single bounce ) to get that initial material out of the way. can also up your nozzle gap on the pierce. but wouldn't go drastic. just small adjustment. stainless doesn't pool like mild steel does. it tends to throw up little spikes that at times hit into the nozzle.

will say this though. for me the chrome coming off a nozzle is a none issue. as long as the nozzle hole is true, you have a good center and your height sensor has been calibrated. some missing chrome shouldn't effect your cut quality. we cut 100's of hours with nitrogen, and when we pull the nozzle, it looks like someone took a grinder to the tip. but had no effect on cut quality.

I also have the same experience as Chalked. We cut lots of stainless and the little blow back that, usually sticks to my pierce point, seems to just lightly scrape the tip over and over. I have nozzles that don't have a spot of chrome on the tip itself anymore but they still cut well. The biggest issue is when it gouges the edge of the hole.

When I have a boat load of stainless and I need to keep the nozzle clean I will us a M103B0.05. This is used on thicker stainless and aluminum to remove the crap from the pierce but it will help protect the nozzle if you have too.

As jjl1210 said above adding a B cut will help eliminate some nozzle wear.For an NT the 103B. Would be your B cut in your Pierce conditions for thick go. 0.08 ( 3/16th and above. For thinner gauge. I would go 0.03-0.05. Keep in mind. B cut will effect your lead in. If it is too short your B cut can get into your part and it will add time to your sheet run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back