Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ammonia in Groundwater: Impact on Concrete?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankie

Structural
Feb 16, 2005
US
Greetings,

Have an ongoing project in the Middle East at a petrochem facility, we're installing slurry-displacement concrete piles for an ammonia tank foundation. This new tank is at the exact location of an old ammonia tank that was removed prior to us mobilizing on site.

We've found out that the groundwater is contaminated with ammonia (concentration = 63000 mg per liter) and have been asked by the Owner as a first step to comment on the likely structural impact/effect of this NH3 on the concrete piles.

I'm in uncharted territory here, and don't have any first-hand experience or technical references to rely upon to address this issue. A quick search of the internet yielded the following semi-useful link but I'm still in need of something more specific.

Any experience, references, sources, etc that you might be able to share with me to address this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back