Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ammonia presence in DEA Stripper top stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfacchin

Chemical
May 13, 2009
BR
S!
We are facing problems due to the presence of ammonia in the top stream of the DEA Stripper on the DEA system of a FCC unit, the one rich in H2S.
I wonder the origin of the ammonia? Could thermal degradion leads to ammonia formation?
Best regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sfacchin, it is not unusual to have a small water purge from the amine stripper top to remove ammonia. I always thought the ammonia is coming in with the sour gas (to the absorber).

Agree
Seen the same also in a MDEA regenerator
Need a water addition to reduce the NH3 levels
If not the combined high levels of NH3 and H2S might create corrosion and deposits in th gas line

This NH3 came from the gas stream to the absorbers
Had no consumption of MDEA or any high levels of HSS
RH

since the process to make amines is the controlled reaction of ethylene oxide and ammonia, the reaction would be able to go backwards.

Every amine plant I've worked in always had that ammonia "smell" in the still reflux condensor water. These units were mainly on natural gas streams so there was absolutely no way of having ammonia in the feed stream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back