Ammonia Refrigeration Plant Risk Management Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeychok

Chemical
Jul 5, 1999
US
<br>
I am developing an RMP (risk management plan as required by the U.S. EPA) for a client with an ammonia refrigeration plant of 250 tons per day refrigeration capacity. I need help in deciding whether or not the plant correctly handles their relief valve vents and their emergency release dump lines. Can any of you, involved with an ammonia refrigeration plant in the U.S of about the same size, help me with these questions:<br>
<br>
(a) How does your plant handle and/or route relief valve vents and emergency dump lines?<br>
(b) If your relief vents and emergency dump lines are routed into a water storage vessel, does it contain enough water to absorb 100 percent of your plant's ammonia inventory?<br>
(c) Is there some standard or code that governs how much water should be in such a water storage vessel?<br>
<br>
Thanks for any guidance you can give me. <p> Milton Beychok<br><a href=mailto:mbeychok@home.com>mbeychok@home.com</a><br><a href= Air Pollution Dispersion Modeling</a><br>Visit my URL to learn about "Fundamentals of Stack Gas Dispersion",<br>
the most comprehensive book on air dispersion modeling of <br>
continuous, buoyant air pollution plumes. Site includes published<br>
peer reviews and complete Table of Contents.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might try contacting the IIAR. They are really up on all the current things including regulations. I will be glad to help just drop me a line. I will try to get some addresses and phone numbers together for you. <A HREF="mailto:Maintreinc@aol.com">Maintreinc@aol.com</A><br>

MaintReInc:<br>
<br>
Thanks for your response and I will await any further information you may make available. I really appreciate your help. <p> Milton Beychok<br><a href=mailto:mbeychok@home.com>mbeychok@home.com</a><br><a href= Air Pollution Dispersion Modeling</a><br>Visit my website to learn about "Fundamentals of Stack Gas Dispersion", the most comprehensive book on air dispersion modeling of continuous, buoyant air pollution plumes. The site includes published peer reviews and the complete Table of Contents.<br>

a) How does your plant handle and/or route relief valve vents and emergency dump lines?<br><br>(b) If your relief vents and emergency dump lines are routed into a water storage vessel, does it contain enough water to absorb 100 percent of your plant's ammonia inventory?<br><br>c) Is there some standard or code that governs how much water should be in such a water storage vessel?<br><br><br>Out pressure relief system consists of dual pressure relief valves. This is a passive safety system which was designed by code to absorb then ammonia, preventing the ammonia from entering the building atmosphere. pH in the tanks is monitored and fresh water is added whith an increase in pH. Over flow drains are piped to sanitary sewer which is also monitored. Our systems are designed to meet the Uniform fire codes, County toxic gas ordinance and IIAR standards.<br>&nbsp;The tanks should be sized so that any release and in crease of pH can be controlled to acceptible levels.&nbsp;&nbsp;Here are a few sites that might be of interest to you.<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new">

a) How does your plant handle and/or route relief valve vents and emergency dump lines?<br><br>(b) If your relief vents and emergency dump lines are routed into a water storage vessel, does it contain enough water to absorb 100 percent of your plant's ammonia inventory?<br><br>c) Is there some standard or code that governs how much water should be in such a water storage vessel?<br><br><br>Out pressure relief system consists of dual pressure relief valves. This is a passive safety system which was designed by code to absorb then ammonia, preventing the ammonia from entering the building atmosphere. pH in the tanks is monitored and fresh water is added whith an increase in pH. Over flow drains are piped to sanitary sewer which is also monitored. Our systems are designed to meet the Uniform fire codes, County toxic gas ordinance and IIAR standards.<br><br>The tanks should be sized so that any release and in crease of pH can be controlled to acceptible levels.&nbsp;&nbsp;Here are a few sites that might be of interest to you.<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new">

a) How does your plant handle and/or route relief valve vents and emergency dump lines?<br><br>(b) If your relief vents and emergency dump lines are routed into a water storage vessel, does it contain enough water to absorb 100 percent of your plant's ammonia inventory?<br><br>c) Is there some standard or code that governs how much water should be in such a water storage vessel?<br><br><br>Out pressure relief system consists of dual pressure relief valves. This is a passive safety system which was designed by code to absorb then ammonia, preventing the ammonia from entering the building atmosphere. pH in the tanks is monitored and fresh water is added whith an increase in pH. Over flow drains are piped to sanitary sewer which is also monitored. Our systems are designed to meet the Uniform fire codes, County toxic gas ordinance and IIAR standards.<br><br>The tanks should be sized so that any release and in crease of pH can be controlled to acceptible levels.&nbsp;&nbsp;Here are a few sites that might be of interest to you.<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new">

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back