Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ammonia Stripping and Scrubbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardens355

Civil/Environmental
Oct 1, 2012
US
I am looking for suppliers of ammonia stripping and scrubbing equipment for a flue gas desulphurization wastewater stream. The stream contains up to 300 mg/L ammonia and a lime process will elevate pH to >11.5 (all NH3 gas), effluent goal is <30 mg/L. Looking for both a stripping unit and a scrubber unit or other process to capture the ammonia as a solid/concentrated liquid stream. Anyone have ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The stripping part is pretty common from many suppliers. Google: "stripping of ammonia from flue gas waste water"

The recovery of the ammonia is the hard part. It is difficult to capture the ammonia in high concentrations (you might be able to produce some aqua-ammonia solution that has some value - depending on the contaminants you will have).

Many other technologies utilize sulfuric acid to prepare an ammonium sulfate solution.

Perhaps you can go back to your desulphurization technology supplier.

What is the source of your flue gas?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=19ca821a-5c8e-48f5-a105-63cdb8dccc54&file=chevron_wwt.pdf
Flue gas from coal power plant is going through desulphurization. I'm thinking that the stripped ammonia could be routed back to the desulphurization process and reused.

I think Rauschert does it. We do it too for the plants we sell, but we are not active in the USA.
The recovery can be done bt steam injection at the bottom of a unit, simular to a distillation column, with reflux.
Concentration recoverd can be in the range of 10-19%, more in some cases. The recovery is difficult if you want a liquid stream, you have to deal with the high partial pressures above H2O/NH3 mix at not so low températures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back