Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ammonia Turbine Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter1476

Mechanical
Jan 22, 2011
JP
Searching for ammonia turbines for a closed loop with outputs from 50kW to 50MW. Can anyone point me to a manufacturer's directory or a specific company? The lower range (50kW - 1MW) is the most difficult.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never worked with ammonia turbines, but ammonia cooling units (industrial refrigerators and large air conditioning plants) used to be regularly based on ammonia asa fluid.

Wouldn't the companies that make/made those large ammonia pumps have a turbine branch? Or at least have a former turbine branch or division?

Thank you Rich and Rackoope for your comments, with the turbine shaft speed of over 20,000rpm and ammonia vapor as the working fluid, not many companies touch this. Also and more importantly for manufacturers, there isn't a big market at the moment. However, this turbine will allow higher cycle efficiencies and will attract attention.

As I recall, Capstone and Solar ( owned by caterpillar) turbine are offering microturbines for refrigerant-based cycles. The Capstone style solid state method of synching a 20,000 rpm turinbe to the grid is used to advantage in these applications. Basically , the refrigerant expansion valves are replaced with an expansion micro-turbine, to great improvement in net efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back