Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ammonium Nitrate and Aluminum; possible hazardous reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWWJD

Electrical
Jan 26, 2011
US
Hey guys,
First off, let me apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question. I have ZERO experience regarding chemistry in general. I have a customer interested in a piece of equipment that is to be placed in an Ammonium Nitrate plant. This equipment is by weight mostly Aluminum (6063). There are also a number of galvanized steel fasteners, and stainless steel parts. Googling these keywords only gets me to countless hits regarding explosives.

Is Ammonium Nitrate in any way reactive to these metals without external means of persuasion? Maybe a dumb question but it's probably dumber to not ask.

Thanks guys,
~Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AN is NOT nice stuff. All by itself it makes a great fertilizer. But when mixed with certain things - it behaves badly. Ever heard of ANFO AN plus Fuel Oil - thats what that wacko used to blow the building in OK. Also, commonly used in mining blasting. It is safer and cheaper than dynamite - but still dangerous.

I guess what I am saying "Get some real help on this one"

Not that it really helps the OP but there are commercialy available explosives that contain finely granulated Aluminium which contributes to the power of the explosive. Similirily Aluminium is close to being totally banned in gaseous coal mines because it can generate a frictional spark with sufficient energy to ignite ( or detonate) methane gas

I would have thought that corrossion would be a bigger conern but, hey if the customer wants to use an Aluminium fabricated piece of kit in his plant, by all means sell him one if thats what he wants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back