Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ampacity of a computer/printer power supply cord 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codified

Electrical
Jun 21, 2014
US
I need to determine the "allowable" ampacity of a computer/printer power supply cord. It's 6-feet long, 300V, Type SJT, 18 AWG, 60/75C rated, with IEC 60320, C13 & C14 connectors at the ends. Nowhere on the cord or connectors is the rated ampacity stated (many similar cords say 10A). I have looked through the NEC (e.g., Articles 310 & 400), but am not sure how (or if) the NEC applies to it. It is in an ambient temperature greater than 30C, but less than 60C, so temperature correction factors could be applicable.

So, how would one assess its ampacity?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NEC Table 400.5(A)(1) says 10 A for two current-carrying conductor SJT - before applying temperature correction factors of Table 310.15(B)(2)(a).

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

xnuke - I would have thought so as well. But, interestingly, the NEC's 400.5 does not say this for the first table; only the 2nd table. Here is an excerpt from 400.5(A) of the 2011 NEC: "Where cords are used in ambient temperatures other than 30°C (86°F), the temperature correction factors from Table 310.15(B)(2)(a) that correspond to the temperature rating of the cord shall be applied to the ampacity in Table 400.5(A)(2).

The 2014 NEC added Table 400.5(A)(1) to the text section requiring temperature correction.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

The scope of the NEC is for installation of permanent wiring, not for the construction of listed equipment like the cord in question. Speak to the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back