Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ampacity of Conductors in Cable Trench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle2022

Electrical
Jan 26, 2005
US
Good morning folks,

I am trying to size some 15kV cables that will be laid in cable trench. I would rather not use ventilated cable trench though some have said these can achieve "free-air" ratings.

I've gotten my hands on a study titled "Ampacity of Conductors in Ventilated Cable Trench" by Emil F. Buettner, P.E. of Oklahom Gas & Electric, 1985. This is somewhat useful, but, again, for ventilated trench.

NEC applies here, but there is nothing that applies specifically to trench. Does anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Or, maybe there is a table in NEC that has been deemed acceptable to use for cable trench installation?

Thank you for your time,

Kyle

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't checked the 2005 NEC, but in the past I don't believe there was a defined wiring method that really aligned with a cable trench.

I have used Trenwa trench for heavy 15 kV circuits in the past. For NEC compliance, we did Neher-McGrath calculations (we actually got Okonite to do them for us) based on the spacing we used. The cables were supported and separated using spacers and the trench was backfilled with thermally-rated sand to improve ampacity.

Kyle, we use CymeCap software to make these calculations. You'll need to consider the cable type, temp. rating, concrete encasement, soil resistivity, depth, number of cables, load, load factor, DB or duct, etc.

Check out ICEA documents P-53-426 and S-66.524

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back