Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An anti-backlash gear with module 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidNeutron

Nuclear
Sep 22, 2007
AU
I am working on a design requiring zero backlash in my set-up. I have an anti-backlash gear that rotates an absolute encoder. This anti-backlash gear should have module = 3 and 120 pitch diameter. I haven’t had luck finding an anti-backlash gear with that module. All anti-backlash gears I’ve found have module less than 1.
In the case I have to detail this gear what information I have to put on the detail drawing? An example of detail drawing of an anti-backlash gear would be great. Thanks in advance.

SolidNeutron

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try cobbling up a set with two regular gears slightly offset with 2-3 elastomer pins between them. One gear should have the drive feature and the other a clearance hole.

Plastic versions can be made with molded-in spring fingers.

You can add 1 module gear fixed on the same axis as the 3 module gear and mesh a 1 module anti-backlash gear to the 1 module gear to rotate the encoder.

Other posibility is to add an anty roll-back bearing to a gear of the same diameter on the same axle, and position it such that the only thing it can do is rotate against the normal direction of rotation. If you install this interlocking against the other gear, the anti-roll back bearing will take away all backlash. Its torque rating is limiting the amount of torque that can be transmitted, but it is very simpla, and effective.

Regards,

Pekelder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back