Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An IGES modeling Question - Editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSSmodel

Bioengineer
Oct 3, 2003
US
I've just installed a FAP version of Wildfire 2.0 for evaluation.

I am a bio-engineer and I work primarily with surface models of human skeletal anatomy. These models are typically exported as IGES files.

I can import a complex model in IGES format with pre-defined and selectable datum planes, points, and axes.
(Such as a human jaw model for example.)

I need to edit the surface model by importing and aligning parametric part files created in Pro-E with the datum features of the imported model and performing a subtraction of the Pro-E part file's geometry from the surface model.

The subtraction should leave me with embedded surfaces in the imported model that relfect the surface geometries of the subtracted parametric part.

Sort of like forcing an impression of a well defined geometric object into an amorphous block of clay.

I have no problem doing this with UG NX, NX2, or NX3.
Once I subtract the native UG NX part files, the resulting surfaces are no longer parametric, but they are there and properly described for modeling and\or machining purposes.

I can not seem to be able to import native Pro-E generated part files and subtract them from surface models in Wildfire 2.0.

There seemes to be a set of commands for this purpose under "Insert\advanced\(trim,cut) surfaces\from file"; but .prt files are not selectable. Only similar surface model extensions like .igs, or .stp are selectable file formats in the drop down box.

I also tried to perform similar operations in the assembly mode to no avail.

I'm new to wildfire and I understand that this may be a trivial task to an experienced user. It is certainly easy to do in UG NX. I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something obvious in the command sequence.

I appreciate your time and help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the installation came with the help CD. Look up Advance util > cutout.
This can be done. Need to talk to a mold building shop that has pro/E.
Texaspete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back