Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analysis of PVC Pipe_Joint using CosmosWorks 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrray47

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2009
AU
Dear All,

Assembly consist of pipe socket with incorporated elastomeric gasket (added as sub-assembly), and spigot end of other pipe that is inserted-joined. Modelled using SolidWorks.
In CosmosWorks FEA, 15 mm displacement is introduced normal on spigot end surface in x direction. The exercise was to find insertion (reaction) forces having two different values for friction (No friction and 0.3 cof).
Elastic gasket is touching supporting wall but not along full length, 2/3 of "contact" have small clearance - as per real part. As per default "bonded" contact is used for all touching surfaces expect for spigot contact with elastomeric gasket (Surface contact used). Large displacement DS Solver is used for FEA.
Now, MY PROBLEM IS THAT I GETTING gasket / supporting wall penetration, although default contact/gap setting is "Bonded"??! Do I have to model this contact with no clearance?
Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
RayR

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back