Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analysis procedures industry-wise and applicable codes/standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRP99

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2016
IN
Dealing mostly in the FEA of pressure vessels and storage tanks according to ASME/API, I am curious about what analysis Procedures and corresponding codes used in the automotive/aero/aerospace/construction and mining equipment/off-road vehicles etc.
For example how an automotive/aerospace engine/drive-train/chassis body component is analysed for static/ dynamic loads and as per which code or guidelines? Any good reference regarding the various procedures such as book,code, guidelines and online websites would be appreciated. Basically the aim is to get knowledge of other industries procedures in carrying out specific FEA, what loads constitute the specific FEA procedure, what the specific/general codes to be used.

For example if one want to analyze crank shaft of an engine, what will be the loading conditions I need to consider for both static and dynamic and as per which code of automotive if automotive engine/aerospace industry if aero engine.

In automotive there are no codes. Each manufacturer will develop their own test conditions, hopefully based on failure modes they've seen in practice. In my own field many successful racing cars have been designed according to 3-2-1 (look it up), yet for a production car that is a recipe for disaster.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

GregLocock

Thanks for input. Any suggestion regarding books or guidelines on different analysis procedures for different components of automotive for example complete vehicle crash analysis or chassis analysis or NVH analysis, static and dynamic analysis?

Hi I think DNV has some documents regarding FEM and ship building. But I've never used them myself (I use ASME VIII and EN 13445 which is the same but in Europe)

ManoloGalarraga

Thanks for the input. I am aware about the DNV. It is mostly related to the marine and offshore industry. Do you know any specific standards/guidelines/books/online references relating to other fields mentioned in my post?

Requesting all to suggest guidelines/books/references/codes for above subject fields mentioned in post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back