Analytical modeling options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgalb

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2009
US
Folks,

I'm just looking for a few opinions (as I believe endorsements are not appropriate here)for some modeling software. My problem is designing an A.C. inductive coil sensor that gets loaded by nearby metals. I'd like to model the complex impedance response and determine magnetic shielding for the coil sensor. I'm interested in both ferromagnetic materials and conductive materials. Options under consideration are closed form packages that require the governing differential equations, and FEA based packages. Software prices are all over the map from what I can tell. I think most of my needs can be met with an axisymetric 2-D package. What do you all think?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if all you need is axisymmetric 2-d package, FEMM is pretty good. It's free and has a good user forum on yahoo groups. Has a good interface with Matlab.

This probably would get more responses in the magnetic forum.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Thank you. Also, when you mean "more responses in the magnetic forum" the one we are in now was the only one I found on this site. Are you referring to another site, perhaps Yahoo?

No, I had several tabs open at the same time... forgot what forum I was in. [spineyes]

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back